Tuesday, June 4, 2013

A synopsis of AFP's "Management of Hypertriglyceridemia"


A synopsis of: Management of Hypertriglyceridemia
ROBERT C. OH, MPH, MAJ, MC, USA, Tripler Army Medical Center, Honolulu, Hawaii, J. BRIAN LANIER, CPT, MC, USA, Martin Army Community Hospital, Fort Benning, Georgia
Am Fam Physician. 2007 May 1;75(9):1365-1371.
http://www.aafp.org/afp/2007/0501/p1365.pdf

     I was listening to a podcast on hypertriglyceridemia on the way to work today, so I thought it would be a good idea to review it. The article I am writing about is from 2007 and I believe much has changed on this topic, such as the usage of fish oils. Regardless, we will truck ahead.
    Triglycerides are the red-headed stepchild of cholesterol. Physicians do not focus on the level unless it is really high. Levels above 500-1000 mg/dL are associated with pancreatitis and metabolic syndrome. Although high triglyceride levels are an independent risk factor of cardiovascular risk, it is unclear whether reduction will modify such risk.
     Statins are a first line agent in patients with elevated LDL's. It can also lower triglyceride levels by 20-40%. Fibrates can lower triglycerides 40-60% and can raise HDL's. Unfortunately, fibrate therapy has not shown to decrease all-cause mortality. Combination therapy with statins may increase the risk of rhabdomyolysis by inhibiting statin metabolism.
     Niacin can lower triglyceride levels by 30-50% as well as raising HDL and lowering LDL. Studies are mixed on the effects of all-cause mortality and glycemic control. Vasomotor side effects and liver enzyme elevation has limited its use as well.
    "According to this article", fish oil (omega 3 fatty acids) has shown a modest decrease in all cause mortality when used in conjunction with ACEIs, BBLs, antiplatelet meds, and other lipid medications. Fish oil and statin combos have showed a decrease in triglycerides as well. New studies question the benefits of fish oil supplements on cholesterol control and heir pro inflammatory effects may cause more harm than good.
     The initial management of high triglyceride level is initiating therapeutic lifestyle changes, glucose control, and screening for metabolic syndrome and secondary causes, such as hypothyroidism, CKD, nephrotic syndrome and diabetis. After that, the focus becomes centered on LDL control, with statins. A cardiac risk profile should be determined and stratified. Patients with triglycerides above 1000 mg/dL need aggressive control of diet and weight reduction. Fibrates or niacin may be an appropriate first line choice in this case.

3 comments:

  1. A great thanks to Doctor Ekpiku the man that work for you as a father I was having genital herpes for 6 year I never found cure I was embarrassed every time I always have pain every time am very happy for Doctor Ekpiku who God bring as helper to me, when I found his email on internet i was shock if it was true serious the man is real he will ask you to choose for your choice of your propose of the cured he inform me about the herbs cure and the spell casting and the spell casting take 45 mins to work which I applied for, once you provide what he need for the spell casting he get the necessary thing available for the cure and he go on with the cure, he inform me that the cure is done at night when will was in the night he go on with the spell casting at time I sleep off because he ask me to sleep on my bed, when I wake-up I found changing in my body I was cured I run to hospital for test I found out am negative thanks to Doctor Ekpiku you can reach him on his email now ekpikuspellhomeofgrace@gmail.com Or ekpikuspellhomeofgrace@hotmail.com.
    Thank You Dr Ekpiku and text me for further information +1 (650) 319-6239

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AM SAMFOR, FROM ISLAND, THANKS TO DR ONIHA WHO CURED ME FROM FATTY LIVER AND HEPATITIS B PROBLEM WITH HIS HERBAL MEDICATION.
      I WAS DIAGNOSED OF FATTY LIVER PROBLEEM FIVE YEARS AGO, I VISITED MEDICAL DIALYSIS CENTER, AND THERE WERE NO BETTER IMPROVEMENT, UNTIL I SAW DR ONIHA'S TESTIMONIES AND RECONMMENDATIONS ONLINE, ON HOW HE HAS BEEN CURING PEOPLE OF LIVER PROBLEMS, AND I DECIDED TO CONTACT HIM, AND HE ADMINISTERED HID DERBAL MEDICATION ON ME, WITHIN A MONTH, I WAS CURED. IN CASE YOU ARE PASSING THROUGH A SIMILAR PROBLEM AND YOU NEED DR ONIHA'S ASSISTANCE, YOU CAN CALL OR WHATSAP +2347089275769 OREMAIL: DRONIHASPELL@YAHOO.COM

      Delete
  2. Dr OBUDU have been a great doctor even know in the world, am here today to tell the world my testimony about how i was cured from herpes.i was having this deadly disease called herpes in my body for the past 6 years but now i know longer have it again. i never know that this disease have cure not until i meet someone know to the world called Dr OBUDU he cured me from herpes he have been great to me and will also be great to you too. i have work with other doctor but nothing come out. one day i did a research and came across the testimony of a lady that also have same disease and got cured by Dr OBUDU. then i contacted his email and told him my problem.he told me not to worry that he have the cure i didn't believe him when he said so because my doctor told me there is no cure.he told me i need to get a herbal medicine for the cure which i did and now am totally cured you can also be cured of any other diseases too if only you believe in him. contact him via email OBUDU.MIRACLEHERBALHOME@GMAIL.COM you can also call or whatsapp him true his mobile number +2347035974895

    ReplyDelete